Level: High School Course: Instrumental Music
1.Perform on Instruments
- Perform accurately and independently in a group.
- Perform with expression and technical accuracy on a wide variety of repertoire at difficulty of Grade 3-5 in a group.
- Demonstrate ability to use ensemble skills of balance, intonation, rhythmic, and dynamic unity.
- Improvise a melody on an instrument in a selected style.
- Improvise a melody on an instrument in various tonalities.
- Improvise melodic and rhythmic variations on a given melody.
3.Compose and Arrange
- Compose original music within specified guidelines.
- Compose original melodic or harmonic accompaniment with guidelines.
- Transpose for various instruments.
- Demonstrate ability to use technological resources for composing and arranging music.
4. Read and Notate
- Identify, define, and perform standard notations, symbols, and terms.
- Use standard notation to record their musical ideas and the musical ideas of others.
5. Understand History and Culture
- Identify the various uses of music in history and the characteristics that make it suitable for the event.
- Identify and explain the stylistic features of a musical work that serve to define its’ aesthetic tradition and its’ historical or cultural context.
6. Evaluate music and music performance
- Evaluate a performance, composition, arrangement, or improvisation by comparing it to similar or exemplary models.
- Evaluate a given musical work in terms of its’ aesthetic qualities and explain the musical means it uses to evoke feelings.
- Have instrument, music, drill (marching band), and pencil daily.
- Be punctual for all rehearsals and performances.
- Exhibit exemplary behavior during rehearsals, performances, and trips.